About Dr. Vitale
Meet Michael Vitale MD MPH
Michael Vitale MD MPH is the Ana Lucia Professor of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery at Columbia University Medical Center, he is also the Director of the Division of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery and the Chief of the Pediatric Spine and Scoliosis Service at Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital of New York – Presbyterian. Dr. Michael G. Vitale is a New York Pediatric Spine Surgeon specializing in spine surgery as well as non-operative treatment of complex pediatric scoliosis and other spinal disorders. Dr. Vitale has a special interest in the treatment of patients with Early Onset Scoliosis. In addition, as a leader spine surgeon, he has pioneered numerous innovative surgical techniques, and has developed spinal instrumentation systems to improve the care of children with scoliosis. For additional information, please see Dr. Vitale’s Bio.
Titles and Locations
- Ana Lucia Professor of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
- Co-Director, Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Chief Quality Officer, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Chief, Pediatric Spine and Scoliosis Service
- Director of Advanced Fellowship in Pediatric Spinal Deformity
- Medical Director, MSCH Initiative to “Make Care Better”
- New York-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital
- Columbia University Medical Center
Current Academic Interests
Dr. Michael G. Vitale’s practice primarily focuses on scoliosis and spinal deformities. Half of his patients are under the age of eight and the rest are adolescents and young adults. He primarily concentrates on ways of making care better. He strives to accomplish this goal by:
- taking a leadership position on CSSG (Children’s Spine Foundation)
- leading the four full-time researchers on staff at Columbia Pediatric Orthopedics
- developing an Early Onset Scoliosis Classification System
- being involved in developing a Best Practice Guidelines For High-Risk Pediatric Spine Surgery, which is now being used at other hospitals to make care better
- launching the Spine Safety Summit that focuses on optimizing care of children undergoing spine surgery
After finishing his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Columbia University, Dr. Vitale did a pediatric orthopaedic fellowship at the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles where he gained significant exposure to pediatric spine surgery. Returning to Columbia, Dr. Vitale was quickly promoted to Herbert Irving Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and consequently was named the Ana Lucia Professor Orthopaedic Surgery.
Dr. Michael Vitale currently leads the Pediatric Spine program, co-directs the Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics and is Vice Chair of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, serving as the Chief Quality Officer.